meat tenderizer (must be fresh),
medium sized onion
Object: To extract DNA from onions.
1. Coarsely chop the onion including the skin.
2. Mix 1/2 teaspoon salt into 1/4 cup water, and put both onions and salt water in the blender. Blend for 15-25 seconds.
3. Pour the concoction into the bowl and add 1/4 cup of clear dishwashing soap. Mix everything together for at least 5 minutes. Try not to make a lot of bubbles.
4. Drain about 1/4 inch of the mixture through the coffee filter and the strainer into a small glass.
5. Then mix in (to the small glass) 1/4 tsp. meat tenderizer and about as much alchohol as you have liquid.
6. You should see white strands floating in the water, these are the DNA. You can use a flashlight to aid you in seeing these. If the strands are long enough you may be able to twist them onto a toothpick.
The experiment worked quite well for me, I saw the DNA clearly and was able to catch one on a toothpick.